Zona 30, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Zona 30 was the first of its kind in the city of Belo Horizonte in Brazil. The main objectives of the initiative aimed to reduce vehicle speed and increase pedestrian safety in the area.
In the chosen area there are three schools, a church and a home for the elderly. The main axis of the intervention is commonly used by vehicles often at a speed incompatible with pedestrians.
Implementation period: 4 days
Time life of the project: Pilot project of 4 days, after the success of the intervention some of the proposed changes were adapted and adopted permanently.
Achieved / on going: Achieved
Status of land: Public
Type of place: Urban area – public street
- Local public stakeholders: Municipality of the city of Belo Horizonte represented by BHTRANS
- Local private stakeholders: Merchant and service providers on Simão Tamm Street.
- International stakeholders: ITDP (Brasil) – Citi Foundation
- Civil society: Volunteers, Inhabitants Association, Association of BH in Cycling and the collective of Street Cycling and local students
Type of actions
- Temporary reversible intervention
- Cultural Activities and Workshops
- Citizen Participation including 90 local students to identify priorities and solutions for the area.
Pedestrians, local inhabitants, school children and elderly living in the local retirement home that is located in the proximity of the area.
For the implementation volunteers mobilized to draw a new geometry on the streets that would reduce the speed of motor vehicles and discourage passing traffic in the region monitored by the academia. The area also received temporary urban furniture, landscaping elements and removable signage. During the intervention a party was organized by the Inhabitants Association, the workshop about urban mobility and cycling was given by the Association of BH in Cycling and the collective of Street Cycling and a theater play was presented by the local Students.
Type of intervention
- Re-design of the streets, widening the sidewalks and intersection with drawings, urban furniture and vegetation
- Re-appropriation of the street space for leisure
- Cultural Activities and Workshops
This intervention was the first of its kind in the city and it helped pave the way for other interventions in the city. It inspired more than 10 other applications for Zona 30 that were filled by citizens for different regions of the city.
The new design implemented temporarily on Simão Tamm street between Nossa Sra. Da Paz and Cônego Santana streets resulted in a 31% reduction in the average speed practiced by motor vehicles. Regarding the feeling of security in relation to motorized traffic, 56.2% of the interviewees gave a maximum score, indicating that they felt very safe after the action. Before the change in the design of the road, only 2.9% of the interviewees had declared that they felt very safe. 81% of respondents indicated they prefer the street with the new design, furniture and landscaping. Only two negative comments were recorded, referring to the loss of parking spaces, the need to maintain the plants and the existence of a park a few blocks further on, which would dispense with the need to create a new leisure area.
(BHTRANS) Coordinator of Sustainability and Environment
(ITDP Brasil) Manager of Active Transports of ITDP Brasil
- ITDB Brasil: https://itdpbrasil.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/200521-ITDP-Factsheet-Cachoeirinha-WEB.pdf
- Arch Daily Brasil: https://www.archdaily.com.br/br/929253/urbanismo-tatico-tintas-cones-e-a-transformacao-das-cidades
- ITDB Brasil: https://itdpbrasil.org/itdp-e-bhtrans-promovem-intervencao-urbana-temporaria-no-bairro-do-cachoeirinha-em-belo-horizonte/#
- BHTRANS: https://prefeitura.pbh.gov.br/bhtrans
- Citi Foundation: https://www.citigroup.com/citi/foundation/
- Type of action : animation / évènement
- State : Cloturé
- Starting date : April 26, 2019
- Starting date : April 29, 2019